This buffalo mac and cheese is so creamy, savory, and delicious! Also, it’s the perfect week night meal, game day snack, or party dish. Made with mozzarella, cheddar cheese, Franks Hot Sauce, and other amazing ingredients. You MUST try this creamy savory meal.
Tips and Tricks:
Chicken Breast: You need one large juicy, fat chicken breast for this recipe. Here’s the trick to boiling chicken breast.
- Bring water to a rolling boil and then drop in the chicken breast. Boil vigorously for 3 minutes. Then drop the heat lower to about a simmer and boil for another 7-10 minutes until done.
Cheese: The best way to make the creamiest mac and cheese is to use whole milk cheese. Firstly, try not to buy pre-shredded. That’s why mac and cheese dishes don’t turn out good and creamy. You have to take the time to shred the cheese. Trust me…it’s worth it!
- Box Grater: https://amzn.to/3forBHL
Hot Sauce: Ask anyone from Buffalo…there’s no substitute for Frank’s Hot sauce! You need a half a cup for this recipe!
Noodles: buy elbow noodles for this recipe, you can get the regular or large version. Boil them to al dente with some salt in the water for best results. Tip: To cook al dente just boil 1 minute less then the package says. Remember, your noodles will cook a little in the oven too.
White Wine Vinegar: Don’t skip this step! Authentic buffalo wing sauce always contains white wine vinegar and this dish calls for the same. It gives it the perfect little zing that will make your buffalo mac & cheese better than anyone else’s
How to get CREAMY (NOT separated) cheese sauce: Once you get to the part of the recipe to add the cheese: turn the heat off but leave the pan on the stove. Mix in the cheese with the residual heat from the stove. This will prevent the sauce from getting goopy and separated.
Cookware: The best way to make this is in a large pan with high sides. Here is my favorite and bonus…it goes stovetop to oven: https://amzn.to/33LLfs3
Whisk: I couldn’t find my silicone whisk so I had to use my wire one in this video, but I ordered new ones. It’s best to use a coated whisk so you don’t ruin your pan: https://amzn.to/3bt23IE
AMAZING Meals you’ll LOVE!
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/uncategorized/creamy-garlic-parmesan-chicken/
Beer Battered Fish and Chips: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/uncategorized/beer-battered-fish-chips/
My top is the BEST off the shoulder top on AMAZON that stays put! Check it out: https://amzn.to/2RZNrJS
Follow me on my Socials:
Amazon Store: https://www.amazon.com/shop/melissa_jo_xo
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
- 1 large chicken breast boiled and shredded (with two forks)
- 12-14 oz. of elbow noodles
- 4 tbsp. of butter
- 3 tbsp. of flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups of milk
- 4 oz. of cream cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 -2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of Frank’s hot wing sauce
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. of Tony’s Creole seasoning: https://amzn.to/3hrIFzq
- 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Boil your chicken breast (look under tips and tricks for the how-to) then shred with two forks
- boil the elbow noodles to al dente
- at medium heat in a large pan with high sides add 1/2 stick of butter
- add the flour and whisk continuously at a medium heat for about 2-3 minutes
- slowly add the milk and whisk continuously for about 5 minutes until it reaches a slightly thick consistency (like runny pancake batter)
- add the spices (whisk)
- add the hot sauce (whisk another 2-3 minutes)
- add the cream cheese (whisk another 2-3 minutes)
- Now turn the heat OFF. But don’t remove the pan from the burner.
- add the cheeses. Fold in the cheeses gently until they are melted
- add the shredded chicken (fold in)
- add the al dente elbow noodles (fold-in)
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray like PAM, or grease the baking dish with butter
- add the mixture to the baking dish (use an 8×8, 9×9, or 9×13)
- bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden bubbly
- enjoy the best mac& cheese ever!