These chicken enchiladas are creamy and browned to perfection with a cheesy ooey gooey topping. They are semi-homemade but taste like you worked all day in the kitchen. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Best served with:
- Rice: White or yellow will compliment this email very well. The cheesy sauce mixed in with rice is so delicious.
- Beans: I spruce up a can of black beans to serve with this dish. It’s so easy! All you have to do is saute half a chopped onion, green bell pepper, and a couple cloves of garlic in olive or vegetable oil until the veggies are translucent and slightly browned. Then add in the can of black beans and mix. Then add in a packet of Sazon, a shake or two of oregano, salt and pepper and a cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the water reduces to half and the beans are a slightly thick consistency.
- Vegetable options:
- Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red wine vinegar and olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Garden salad: simply toss together romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and sliced red onion and you have a bright colorful simple garden salad. Top with your favorite prepared dressing or simply whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, peper, juice of one lemon, and fresh garlic.
- Chicken breasts: purchase chicken breasts from your local grocery store. Butterfly by slicing the chicken breasts through the middle lengthwise to make the breasts thinner. This will help the chicken cook faster and more evenly when boiling.
- Tortillas: you should purchase the white corn tortillas. Here are the tortillas I use: https://amzn.to/3eNgzf7
- Enchilada Sauce: Of course you could always make your own, but I think a can works just perfectly and so delicious: https://amzn.to/3eNIAD7
- Cheese: I used a combination of habanero cheddar cheese, cheddar cheese, and cheese dip. You can change this up with any cheese you like, but I love the slight heat of the habanero and my favorite cheese dip is like magic with this dish. I like to shred my cheese when making the enchiladas because it’s far creamier and melts brown and bubbly. But, you can use pre-shredded cheese if you’d like.
Cookware- you’ll need to use a pan with high sides that can saute and fry.. I will link the pan I use here: https://amzn.to/32swlpI
- You’ll also need a pot to boil your chicken. Any simple sauce pan/pot will do.
- A pyrex for baking: https://amzn.to/3ec7xJi
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
- 2 chicken breasts butterflied (about 1-2 lbs)
- White corn tortillas (12-15)
- T tbsp. of chicken bouillon:https://amzn.to/3aUNhd5
- 1 large onion (half for boiling chicken and the other half chopped for the shredded chicken mixture)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½- 1 cup or so of vegetable oil (for frying tortillas and a little left over for sauteing the shredded chicken)
- 4 oz. can of Hatch green chilis
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. shredded habanero cheddar cheese
- 19 oz. can of enchilada sauce
- 5-6 oz. of Gordo’s Cheese Dip
- Garnish: Chopped green onions and Mexican Style Cream Sauce (Crema)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook the chicken breasts for about 10 minutes in water, half an onion sliced, garlic, and chicken bouillon. Process: Bring water to a rolling boil with all of the seasoning & vegetables in the water. Once it’s boiling lower the heat to a simmer and add the chicken. Cover the pot and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Drain the chicken and let cool. Then shred the chicken.
- While the chicken is cooling fry the tortillas in hot vegetable, corn, or canola oil for about 2-3 seconds per side. Place them on a paper-towel lined plate when finished frying.
- Get rid of most of the oil except about a tbsp in the pan. Add the shredded chicken, seasoning, and chilis. Saute for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Shred the cheese
- Add about ⅓ of the can of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish by tilting the dish til it’s evenly coated.
- Layer each tortilla with enchilada sauce, chicken mixture, habanero cheese and cheddar cheese. Roll up the tortilla and plac the enchiladas seam side down in the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Add both types of shredded cheese and the cheese dip.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10-15minutes. Then serve topped with green onions and Mexican Style Cream Sauce.