This rice pilaf is so darn delicious!! It’s so savory and fluffy and it will make the Perfect side dish to any meal! Or you can eat it alone like I do and top it with your favorite vegetables! I can’t WAIT for you to give this a go!
- Rice: I used long grain rice, but you can use medium or jasmine rice.
- Vermicelli: I bought long spaghetti-like vermicelli so I had to break it into small pieces. The easiest way is to just break it with your hands and then crush up in your hands until you achieve small 1 inch pieces. Or if you can find already in small pieces, buy it like that!
- Wash the Rice: In order for the rice to come out beautiful and fluffy, not sticky and goopy you will have to soak and rinse your rice several times.
- Add the rice to a bowl. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse and drain the rice a few times. I do this about 3-5 times. Don’t skip this step!
- Saffron: This is the saffron I purchased: https://amzn.to/372tSEZ Grab a pinch of the saffron and crush it up with a mortar and pestle until it’s like a fine powder. https://amzn.to/3iCqHJi
DELICIOUS weeknight meals!
Honey Bubble Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/honey-bubble-butter-chicken/
Chicken Ranch Sandwiches: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/chicken-ranch-sandwich-recipe/
Oven Baked Parmesan Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/easy-oven-baked-parmesan-chicken/
The BEST Macaroni & Cheese: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/the-best-baked-macaroni-cheese/
One Pot Chicken & Mushroom Rice: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/one-pot-chicken-mushroom-rice/
Cherry Bomb Sliders: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/cherry-bomb-sliders/
Air Fryer Antipasto Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/air-fryer-antipasto-chicken/
Melissa jo Real Recipes
- 2 cups of long grain white rice (washed thoroughly)
- 2-3 oz. of Vermicelli
- a pinch of saffron
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- 4 tbsp. of butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. of Better than Bouillon chicken base
- garnish: green onions, tomatoes, and parsley
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot with a cover
- crush the saffron into a powder using a mortar and pestle
- sauté the vermicelli on medium heat in 2 tbsp. of butter (about 5 minutes)
- keep moving your wooden spoon and sauté the vermicelli in front of the stove because they burn easily
- Once the water is at a rolling boil add the chicken base
- once the vermicelli is a golden reddish brown color pick up the pan and add the entire contents of the pan into the large pot of boiling water
- add the rice to the boiling water
- mix everything together and then cover the pot and lower the heat down to a level 2 or 3
- cook covered for about 8-10 minutes
- after the 10 minutes open the pot and add the saffron
- mix together thoroughly and cover and finish cooking for another 5-10 minutes or until the water is absorbed
- open the pot and add 2 tbsp. of butter and cover again for another 2 minutes until it melts
- uncover and fluff with a fork
- allow to sit at a low heat for 5-10 minutes uncovered (this will evaporate any unwanted moisture)
- serve in a bowl and top with any vegetables you like or serve plain!