These shrimp and grits are the perfect meal for a date night, week night, game night, ANY night! So flavorful and spicy with the calming flavor of the cheesy grits to round it out. You must TRY!
Best served with:
This dish has protein and carbohydrates so a simple vegetable side dish will go perfectly.
Here are my suggestions:
- Vegetable options:
- Steamed green beans topped with a little butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Garden salad: simply toss together romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and sliced red onion and you have a bright colorful simple garden salad. Top with your favorite prepared dressing or simply whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, peper, juice of one lemon, and fresh garlic.
- Roasted asparagus with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes
Follow my Socials:
Amazon Store: https://www.amazon.com/shop/melissa_jo_xo
Other Meals you will LOVE!
One Pot Meal: Chicken and Mushroom RIce: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/dinner/one-pot-chicken-mushroom-rice/
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-garlic-parmesan-chicken/
Oven Roasted Garlic Chicken: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipe/juicy-oven-roasted-garlic-chicken/
Buffalo Mac & cheese: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/buffalo-chicken-mac-cheese/
- Quick Grits: One thing you must know is that quick grits aren’t quick, follow my directions in the recipe to cook the grits and disregard the packaging directions
- Shrimp: I buy my shrimp already peeled and deveined. If you do not, don’t skip this step. Additionally, I removed the tails, but you could certainly keep them on the shrimp for a pretty appearance.
- Fresh or Frozen?: I used frozen shrimp in this recipe, but fresh or frozen works. SOmetimes I find that frozen shrimp actually tastes fresher because it’s frozen right on the ship.
- Cheese: it’s important to shred the cheese instead of buying it pre shredded. The waxy film on the shredded cheese makes the cheese less creamy and delicious when melting. You can substitute any cheese you like in this recipe.
- Seasonings: I LOVE Tony’s Creole Seasoning, it makes this dish. If you can’t find it where you live here’s a link: https://amzn.to/2QyIVRL
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
Shrimp & Grits
- 24 oz. of peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 cup quick grits
- 4 cups chicken stock
- chop 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 shallot
- handful of green onions
- chop a handful of parsley
- shred gruyere cheese (1 cup)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- splash of heavy milk
- splash of worcestershire
- 3 tbsp of butter & 1/4 cup heavy cream for grits
- 4-5 slices of bacon
- shrimp seasoning: 3/4 tbsp of Tony’s, a dash of cayenne pepper, black pepper
- cooking fats: bacon grease & olive oil
- crushed red pepper (if you like the heat)
- Shrimp should be room temperature; pat the shrimp dry.. then season the shrimp
- Boil chicken stock vigorously, then add grits slowly while stirring constantly (for about 5 minutes)
- Then lower heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes
- slowly fry bacon then remove from pan but keep the bacon grease in pan (empty a little if it’s too much)
- in same pan add in this order: shallots & green onions, then the bacon chopped, then the garlic
- deglaze the pan with the lemon, worcestershire, heavy cream mixture (saute for just a few minutes)
- add shrimp back to pan and saute a couple minutes then take off the heat
- once grits are done add a 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 3 tbsp of butter, and salt & pepper; then stir in cheese
- pour your shrimp and the sauce over the grits and ENJOY!