This oven baked one pot chicken and mushroom rice dinner is simply PerFECT! It’s a one pot chicken dinner that will bring everyone running to the dinner table! Crispy chicken thighs, creamy rice, mushrooms, garlic, and Pecorino Romano cheese! Your family and friends will think you worked all day on this nutritious and tasty chicken dinner.
The rice absorbs the juices of the chicken and the aromatic seasonings to make the tastiest rice to accompany the flavorful chicken thighs. The flavor combination is magical! If you’re a busy mom with family obligations like most of us, this will become a part of your dinner rotation on a regular basis! This I guarantee!
This dish is:
- Easy to prepare (the prep time is about 10-15 minutes)
- DELICIOUS and FULL of flavor
- Made in ONE POT! One pan dinners are simply the BEST because you don’t have to clean the kitchen all night. Everything is prepared in one pot and the clean up is quick and easy just like the preparation for this dish.
- Made with delicious fresh ingredients that are most likely already in your kitchen right now! All of the ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store.
- Affordable! All of the ingredients are reasonably priced, but no one will know! That’s just how delicious it is!
Here are some other winner dinners you may enjoy:
Creamy Chicken Fettucine: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/dinner/chicken-creamy-fettucine/
Pork Milanese with Arugula Salad: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/uncategorized/pork-milanese-with-arugula-salad/
Chicken Enchiladas: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/dinner/chicken-enchiladas/
Follow me on my other accounts:
Shop my favorite cookware and outfits here: https://www.amazon.com/shop/melissa_jo_xo
What you will need:
- bone-in skin on chicken thighs: they are so versatile and full of flavor and healthy fats. Chicken thighs are very forgiving and easy to prepare without worrying that you will ruin your dinner if you’re a beginner cook
- Uncooked white rice: steer clear of brown rice for this recipe because the proportions are different and it takes longer to cook. Any white rice will work. I used long grain rice, but medium grain, jasmine, or short grain rice will work nicely as well. Do not use specialty rices such as risotto
- Seasonings: you will need Lawry’s all purpose seasoning. Also you’ll need an Italian seasoning blend, dried parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Cookware- you’ll need to use a pan with high sides that can go stovetop to oven. I will link the pan I use here:
- If you do not have a stovetop to oven pan you can transfer the dish into a baking dish and cover it very tightly with a lid or heavy duty aluminum foil to get the same result.
My favorite pan that goes stovetop to oven: https://amzn.to/3bjo4IN
- DO NOT replace the chicken thighs with chicken breasts. The cooking time is different and breasts just do not offer enough delicious fats to cook your vegetables that this dish deserves!
- Do NOT use minute rice for this recipe. The cooking times are different and it will not work.
- In my video I added all of the vegetables to sauté at once. It turned out so DELICIOUS, BUT you can also add all of the vegetables in except the garlic and sauté them together. Once they are almost golden, add the garlic in and sauté until they are golden as well then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Wine: I used pinot grigio in my dish. But, any white wine will do! Just make sure it’s something you would drink.
Oils and Fats: When browning the chicken the pan will fill with more fats from the chicken. Dump out a little bit of the oils from the pan so you have about a tbsp. Or so of fats to sauté your vegetables in.
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
One Pan Wonder Chicken and Mushroom Rice
4-5 chicken thighs skin-on bone-in
1 cup of rice (long grain white rice)
1 & ½ cups of water & 1 tsp of Better than Bouillon Base (Beef)
- OR- 1 & ½ cups of beef stock
8 oz. of sliced white mushrooms
About a ½ glass of white wine
4-5 tbsp. of Pecorino Romano grated
10 chives for garnish chopped
1 large yellow onion chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tbsp. of Complete seasoning
1 tbsp. of Lawry’s All purpose seasoning
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Chicken thighs should be room temperature and patted dry of any moisture. Season your chicken with the seasonings. Let them settle into the chicken about 10 minutes before browning.
- Chop the onion. Slice the mushrooms. Mince your garlic.
- Add canola or vegetable oil to a skillet with high sides (oven safe skillet) and brown the chicken starting with the skin side down first. Brown about 5 minutes per side and don’t mess with it! Leave it to get nice and crispy.
- Remove the chicken once browned and add all of the vegetables into the same skillet. Add the garlic once the other vegetables are about half way through cooking (once the onions are translucent) sauté all of the veggies until they are golden.
- Deglaze the pan while it’s hot with the wine. Let it simmer for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the Better than Bouillon and sauté another minute. Then add the water and the rice. Bring to a boil. (If you don’t have Better than bouillon then substitute 1 & ½ cups of beef stock in place of the bouillon and water)
- Once the dish is boiling add the chicken on top of the mixture and all of the juices (drippings)that settled into the plate.
- Cover with an oven safe lid and pop into the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fluff up the rice with a fork and sprinkle the pecorino cheese
- Pop back into the oven for 4-5 minutes. Remove fluff up and BOOOM!
- Serve and enjoy the most delicious dinner!