Beef stroganoff is a classic meal that takes very little time to prepare and requires everyday ingredients, but it tastes out of this world DELICIOUS! My recipe is made with top sirloin, mushrooms, onions, sour cream and other savory ingredients. Open up your pantry and refrigerator and let’s make this tasty meal in under 30 minutes.
Follow my Socials:
Amazon Store: https://www.amazon.com/shop/melissa_jo_xo
Other Family Meals you will LOVE!
Buffalo Mac & Cheese: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/buffalo-chicken-mac-cheese/
Chicken Creamy Fettuccine: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/chicken-creamy-fettucine/
One Pot Chicken & Mushroom Rice: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/one-pot-chicken-mushroom-rice/
Chicken Enchiladas: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/chicken-enchiladas/
Pork Milanese with Arugula Salad: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/recipes/dinner/pork-milanese-with-arugula-salad/
Tips & Tricks:
- Better than Bouillon: To make the tastiest beef stroganoff you need to use a beef base instead of beef broth. This is what most chefs use, and for good reason. IT IS BETTER than making your own beef broth in my opinion. And who has time for that? Trust me, buy this product and you’ll never buy boxed or canned beef or chicken broth again. https://amzn.to/3zbI4Ir
- you can substitute 1 cup of beef broth or beef consomme with the better than bouillon
- Served with: I serve this meal up with buttery egg noodles. Just boil the egg noodles to the package directions, drain, and throw in a few tbsp. of butter. It’s the perfect combination. You could also serve with mashed potatoes, white rice, or any pasta.
- Cuts of beef: I used 1.75 lbs. of top sirloin, but other cuts of beef work as well. Ribeye, Filet, beef tenderloin, or even ground beef can be used in this dish.
- Prepping Beef: The trick is to slice the cut of beef thinly. The slices should be about 1/3 inch thick.
- FAST NOT slow: Ask yourself this, “Do you want delicious, juicy beef”? or “Tough, hard beef”? If you want tender, juicy beef in your stroganoff then you must be QUICK! You are only searing your meat about 2 minutes total (1 minute per side) EVEN if you see a little pink, take it out of the pan. It will continue cooking after it’s out of the hot pan while it is resting on the plate. It will also cook a little more when you add back to the sauce. BE QUICK! Slow and low is not the way to go with this dish.
- Cookware: All you need is a great skillet with high sides. Here’s my favorite that goes stovetop to oven: https://amzn.to/3cqBjZL
- a dutch oven or cast iron will work, too!
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
- 1.75 lbs. of boneless top sirloin sliced thinly (1/3-1/2 inch thick slices)
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp. of butter (salted)
- 8 oz. of baby bella mushroom sliced
- 1/2 of a large yellow or sweet onion diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup of sour cream (full fat sour cream)
- 2-3 tbsp. of flour (I used Wondra) https://amzn.to/34X7w6A
- 1 tbsp. of Better than Bouillon https://amzn.to/3zbI4Ir
- 1 cup of water (add more if it’s too thick, but 1 cup is a great place to start)
- 1-2 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce https://amzn.to/2Rw3JdB
- 1/4 cup of white wine (any white wine will work as long as it’s something you would drink) (I used chardonnay)
- 1 lb. of egg noodles
- seasoning: salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- garnish: chopped parsley or chives
- cut the beef into thin slices
- season the beef with salt & pepper
- Add olive oil to skillet and set the stovetop to medium high heat
- Sear the beef and try not to move it around too much, so it brown on each side. ONLY brown the beef for about 2-3 minutes total
- Remove the beef and set aside on a plate covered with foil
- add the butter to the pan
- add the mushrooms and onions and saute until golden brown about 4-6 minutes
- add the garlic and saute another minute or so (do NOT burn the garlic)
- season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- sprinkle the mixture with the flour and saute and move quickly around the pan for about 2-3 minutes; it will start getting thick right away and that’s okay
- deglaze the pan with the white wine; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes
- heat up a cup of water in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes or until piping hot, then add the better than bouillon to the water and mix: add it to the skillet
- add the Worcestershire sauce
- simmer for about 8-10 minutes (on medium low -medium heat)
- TASTE the sauce, add more salt & pepper or garlic powder if needed.
- lower the stove top to a low-medium low setting, then add a couple spoonfuls of the sauce to a cup of sour cream and mix; then add the sour cream to the sauce
- cook on low for about a minute or so stirring continuously
- add the meat & the juices back into the skillet simmer another 2-5 minutes
- serve over buttery egg noodles and enjoy!
Here are some pictures of the process:
Boneless Top Sirloin:
The sauce simmering before I added the sour cream: