This lemon rice is the best EVER and it will surely become part of your dinner rotation. It’s the perfect mix of savory lemony rice that is fluffy and perfectly seasoned! Follow the recipe exactly and you’ve got the perfect side dish.
Rice: I used long grain rice, but you can use medium or jasmine rice.
Wash the Rice:
In order for the rice to come out beautiful and fluffy, not sticky and goopy you will have to soak and rinse your rice several times.
- Add the rice to a bowl. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse and drain the rice a few times. I do this about 3-5 times. Don’t skip this step!
Lemon: I used the juice of half a lemon and I zested half the lemon. Use about 1/4 tsp of lemon zest in the rice, the rest of the zest can be used for garnish.
Better Than Bouillon:
Bouillon base is amazing in this dish, however if you can’t find it you can substitute chicken stock in place of the water.
Cookware: Make sure you have a pot or pan with a tight fitting lid. Here is what I use: https://amzn.to/3yrZbFG
Main Course dishes this rice will compliment perfectly:
Garlic Butter Lobster Tails: https://melissajorealrecipes.com/uncategorized/garlic-butter-lobster-tails/
Follow me on my Socials:
Amazon Store: https://www.amazon.com/shop/melissa_jo_xo
Melissa Jo Real Recipes
- 1 cup of long grain rice (washed thoroughly)
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 tbsp. of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 tsp of lemon zest (more lemon zest for garnish)
- 1/2 tbsp. of lemon pepper seasoning https://amzn.to/3fCLFqb
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fats: 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil and 1 tbsp. of butter
- soak the rice in water; place in a bowl and cover completely with water. Then, rinse the rice 3-5 times and pour out the water. I use a strainer/colander over a bowl when doing this.
- at medium heat add the oil and butter to the pan
- sauté the onion until it’s translucent (add salt & pepper)
- add the garlic and sauté a couple more minutes (DO NOT BURN the garlic)
- add the rice and sauté about 5 minutes at medium heat
- add the Better than Bouillon chicken base and sauté for about 1-2 minutes
- add the lemon pepper seasoning; sauté another minute or so
- add the lemon juice and a 1/4 tsp of lemon zest
- add 2 cups of water to the pan (or chicken stock if you do not have Better than Bouillon)
- crank up the heat to high and bring to a boil
- check the juice in the pan and taste it for proper seasoning (if it needs a little more of anything add it now)
- cover the pot/pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to low
- cook covered at low for about 20-25 minutes
- remove lid and let the rice sit in pan with heat turned off for about 5-10 minutes
- Then, fluff up the rice with a fork and add to serving dish
- garnish with lemon zest and a little parsley
- ENJOY THE best lemon rice EVER!