Indulge in the tropical flavors of piña colada with our mouthwatering Piña Colada Poke Cake recipe. This easy-to-make dessert is perfect for summer gatherings or any time you want to transport your taste buds to a sunny paradise.
Pina Colada Cake Recipe
- 1 box of yellow or white cake mix
- 20 oz canned crushed pineapple undrained
- 1/2 cup Water
- Vegetable oil as specified on the cake mix box
- Eggs as specified on the cake mix box
For the piña colada filling:
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup shredded toasted coconut optional
For the topping:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract & 2 oz. pineapple juice
- Pineapple slices and maraschino cherries for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven according to the instructions on the cake mix box.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, crushed pineapple (with the juice), water, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and pour the cake batter into it, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven according to the time and temperature specified on the cake mix box. I baked at 350 degrees F. for 38 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the piña colada filling. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, cream of coconut, pineapple juice, and shredded coconut (if using). Mix until well combined.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake, going about halfway down.
- Pour the piña colada filling mixture over the warm cake, making sure to spread it evenly and filling the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.About 2 hours or so.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract. Whip the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cooled cake, creating an even layer.
- If desired, garnish the cake with pineapple slices and maraschino cherries.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to meld and the cake to set.
- Slice the Piña Colada Poke Cake and serve chilled. Enjoy!
- Use Fresh Pineapple: While canned crushed pineapple works well in this recipe, using fresh pineapple can take the flavor to the next level. If you have the time, consider using freshly diced pineapple instead of canned for a burst of tropical freshness.
- Enhance the Coconut Flavor: If you’re a coconut lover, add a few drops of coconut extract to the cake batter or the piña colada filling for an extra boost of coconut flavor. It will elevate the overall tropical experience of the cake.
- Make it Gluten-Free: If you or your guests follow a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy this delicious cake. Simply substitute the regular cake mix with a gluten-free cake mix of your choice. Ensure that the other ingredients, such as the pineapple and coconut cream, are also gluten-free.
- Toasted Coconut Topping: For an added touch of flavor and presentation, toast some shredded coconut in a dry skillet until it turns golden brown. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of the whipped cream layer to add a delightful crunch to each bite.
- Allow Time for Chilling: While it may be tempting to dig into the cake right away, it’s best to let it chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours or overnight. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the filling to set properly, resulting in a more cohesive and delicious cake.
- Personalize the Garnish: Get creative with the garnish! Along with pineapple slices and maraschino cherries, consider adding other tropical fruits like sliced kiwi or passion fruit to the top of the cake. It will not only enhance the visual appeal but also add extra layers of flavor.
- Serve with a Piña Colada Twist: For an ultimate tropical experience, serve slices of the Piña Colada Poke Cake with a side of refreshing piña coladas. It’s a perfect pairing that will make your dessert time feel like a mini vacation.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!