There is nothing I love more than cooking with my grandmother! And this all time favorite in our family is a must try for everyone! The BEST macaroni and cheese is here on this page and it’s made with cheddar cheese, Pecorino Romano, Velveeta, onions, and more. You have to taste to believe! Make IT!
The BEST Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 lb. of large elbow noodles
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 2 Vidalia onions chopped small
- 4 tbsp. of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 3¾ cups of milk
- 2 cups of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- oz. of Velveeta cheese
- 3 tbsp. of Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 2 tsp. Italian Bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat the oven to 350
- boil the noodles until al dente (refer to package directions)
- on medium heat melt a stick of butter in a sauce pan
- as soon as it’s melted add the onions and sauté until golden
- add salt and pepper to taste
- add flour
- whisk continuously until for about 2-3 minutes
- add wine and whisk another minute
- add milk
- bring to boil; then lower to a simmer. Stir and whisk until slightly thickened.
- add all of the cheeses. Begin with the cheddar. Then, add Velveeta. Last, Pecorino Romano. (add 2 tbsp. of the Pecorino Romano)
- stir on a low simmer until incorporated and slightly thickened.
- grease the baking dish using butter or Pam
- layer the cheese sauce with the the noodles. Start with the cheese sauce as the bottom layer and continue building.
- garnish with Italian breadcrumbs and 1 tbsp. of Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Bake uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes or until gold, browned and bubbly
- How to Bake: Make this dish in a basic Pyrex or casserole dish, but it’s so beautiful and bubbly you have to bake on a cookie or baking sheet lined with foil in case it bubbles over in all it’s glory!
- Cheese: exchange out the cheeses with whichever you like; but do NOT skip the Velveeta! The oozy gooey Velveeta make this dish out of this world. Fun Fact: my grandma and my family just recently added the other cheeses to this dish. We originally made this with only Velveeta. Both recipes are amazing.
- Layering: Like your outfits, layer the noodles and the cheese. Take the extra step to build this dish: elbows-cheese-elbows-cheese- and reap the benefits with the final product.
- Noodles: Use whichever noodles you like; we love the large elbows . That is what we used for this recipe.
- Wine: Use any white wine as long as you would drink it! We used chardonnay. You can also skip the wine entirely if you don’t want to add it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!