Welcome back to my recipe blog, where I’m taking a nostalgic trip down memory lane to my days working at Outback Steakhouse! One of my all-time favorites from the menu was the Walkabout Soup, and I’m thrilled to share my copycat version perfect blend of sweet onions, creamy cheese, and savory goodness. So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Replying to @lesleblair No rules just right….Walkabout Soup Recipe! Here it is: 2 large sweet onions, sliced (not too thinly, about 1/4 inch thick) 6 tbsp. of butter (divided) 2 cubes of chicken bouillon 1/4 tsp of Tony’s Creole seasoning 4 tbsp. of flour 1 & 1/2 cups of milk 2 cups of chicken broth 8 oz. of Velveeta cheese, cubed up 1 cup of freshly grated cheddar cheese (plus a little more for garnish) Salt and plenty of cracked black pepper to taste #OutbackSteakhouse #CopycatRecipes #WalkaboutSoup @Mealtime with Melissa
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup Recipe
- 2 large sweet onions sliced (not too thinly, about 1/4 inch thick)
- 6 tbsp. of butter divided
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon
- 1/4 tsp of Tony’s Creole seasoning
- 4 tbsp. of flour
- 1.5 cups cups of milk
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 8 oz. of Velveeta cheese cubed up
- 1 cup of freshly grated cheddar cheese plus a little more for garnish
- Salt and plenty of cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat up a pot over medium heat and add 3 tbsp of butter. Toss in the sliced onions and crumble the chicken bouillon cubes over them while you sauté. Sprinkle in the Tony’s Creole seasoning for that extra kick. Sauté the onions just until they turn translucent and soft. Remember, we don’t want them to brown!
- Now, add 3 more tbsp of butter to the pot and slowly whisk in the flour. Keep whisking continuously until the mixture forms a smooth paste.
- Gradually pour in the milk while whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Once the milk is fully incorporated, add the chicken broth and stir the mixture with a spoon.
- Lower the heat to medium-low before adding the cheeses. Start with the freshly shredded cheddar, stirring until it melts and becomes a creamy delight.
- Now, it’s time to add the star of the show – the Velveeta cheese. Continue stirring until the Velveeta cheese is fully melted and the soup reaches a velvety consistency. The rich and creamy texture is what makes this soup so irresistible!
- Season the soup with salt and plenty of cracked black pepper to suit your taste buds. Feel free to add a bit more Tony’s Creole seasoning if you want an extra punch.
To achieve that perfectly creamy and cheesy texture, ensure that you add the cheeses on medium-low heat. High heat may cause the cheese to become stringy and separate from the soup.
If you prefer a thinner consistency, you can adjust by adding a bit more milk or chicken broth.
Garnish each serving of Walkabout Soup with a sprinkle of freshly shredded cheddar cheese. It adds a lovely touch and enhances the flavor.